Book Review: Bird by Bird by Anne Lamont


When I found this at my favorite thrift store I squealed.  This was worth it's weight in gold! The narrator immediately sat me down to talk about the craft of writing, and it felt like someone finally understood.



I started to doubt my writing abilities around 7k words. My characters were doing things on their own accord, without telling me, I was just watching them thinking they'd do something else. Actually, every time I sit down and write, I'm surprised by something. A piece of plot. The way something was said. Where my characters go.

I knew I was going to rewrite the first chapter, but do I do it now? I realized I needed to trust myself and keep going. I find Bird by Bird was written for writers like myself, who discover the characters and plot as they write.


There are gems everywhere in this book.A huge lesson throughout it is to trust yourself as a writer. This will be a book I keep forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Tree By The Ocean // a poem

Review: At the Edge of the Orchard

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai // Review