Book Review: Charlotte's Web

I have had the urge to revisit the stories I loved when I was little. I chose Charlotte's Web because if one bookscene has stayed with me, it is when Fern runs up to her father to save Wilbur from an Untimely death.What grade was I in? Kindergarden? 2nd grade? I was not expecting to be blownback by the emmaculate writing. I'm really lucky  I found a vintage copy at the thrift store for its sepia pages.


Charltte's Web is a book by E. B. White and it won the Newbery Prize way back in 1953. There is also a 1973 animated version I adored as a child though the songs were forgettable.Wilbur is innocent, gullible, everything that a young child is and through Wilbur's eyes the reader learns to appreciate and value life. I also adore Charlotte because she is a writer like me.
After I read the book I watched the movie and was happy to see that some cenes from the movie are word for word from the book itself.

This book covers many difficult topics to contemplate at a young age. I think this book seriously affected me when I was in 1st grade because I hated saying goodbye to people. Death is a major theme weaved from the beginning through the book. E.B. White is a master wordsmith and has a way of taking a simple sentence and adding layers underneath..  I could not hold back my tears when I read the touching monolouge at the end when Wilbur thanks Charlotte for saving his life and being his friend.



A story about friendship, and the miracles of friendship.


I cried from page 166 to the end of the book. When Charlotte's children threw their filaments in the air to leave Wilbur and Wilbur just fell to the floor in sorrow, I had to put my head in my hands. I suffer from depression and I found that I very much related to Wilbur's cries of not wanting to die, but wanting to live. And how vital it was that a friend was there for him to save his life.

Every adult can relate to having to say goodbye to someone you love. It's the love of two friends who want the best for each other. That is so beautiful to me that I tear up again writing about this.

Water Color Bookmark with Apples ( https://www.etsy.com/listing/794745565/watercolor-painting-watercolor-bookmark?ref=shop_home_active_1 )

e.p.

I'll Always Remember You - Hannah Montana
Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers (RIP 2020)
Wherever I go - Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana)
What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Tree By The Ocean // a poem

Review: At the Edge of the Orchard

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai // Review